Friday, February 20, 2009

"You can sit beside me when the world comes down..."


Next month will mark 5 years of wandering on American soil for me. When I think about that it makes my head a bit fuzzy. I never really thought I'd be this far from home. But now I have been for almost a 5th of my life. So weird. 

I came from a small town on the east coast of Scotland to just outside of the grand city of Seattle and then on to a little dusty town in Idaho.

I've collected memories and new words along the way. Put on a few pounds and have a husband who 'loves every inch of me'. I've seen things and been places my parents have never been. The time for living off of the parental unit's experiences and rules is long gone. They made me into who I am now: adventurous, quirky, shy, bright, funny, sensitive and artistic and set me on my way. They're still on their journey but now they don't have to hold my hand - as much as I'd love that. I'm learning to walk on my own and to balance on someone elses (usually) steady arm and to give support in return.

When Mr. A and I started this journey together we expected to have certain things that are obviously missing from our marriage right now. We had a plan but the Big Man Upstairs has different ideas and we're learning to enjoy the detour.

The two pairs of feet in our house - and the umpteen pairs of shoes at the front door - are happy. What more do we need?

Where do you think you'll be in 5 years? Are you where you thought you'd be 5 years ago.

No comments: